The City of the Village of Indian Hill, Ohio will conduct a Civil Service Examination to establish an eligibility list for the position of Meter Reader/Plant Operator in the Water Works Department. The Meter Reader/Plant Operator candidate is responsible for installing, inspecting and reading water meters, locating service lines, collecting water samples and performing a variety of semi-skilled and manual labor in the maintenance, installation, construction, general repair and operation of the Class III Water Treatment Plant.
- Reads water meters and turns readings in to Water Works office for billing.
- Assists in plant operations: tests finished water for proper levels; checks motors & pumps for proper levels of lubrication; collects water samples; etc.
- Plant maintenance: assists in monitoring and repair of water treatment facilities & equipment; well field & tower maintenance; performs routine preventive maintenance; and simple mechanical repairs.
- Performs general housekeeping chores to assure a clean and safe water treatment plant.
- Locates water lines, values, surface lines, meter pit, and curb boxes.
- Inspects water lines, meter pits, and valve boxes.
- Installs remote meters and outside registers.
- Fulfills work orders generated by meter reading; answering questions or complaints of water customers.
- Responds to overtime call-in or calls, as needed for emergencies, 7 days per week, 24 hours per day.
- Assists water distribution crew as needed.
- Must be able to meet and talk effectively with the public and to work without close supervision.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices relating to the practice of water treatment and other environmental regulations.
- Ability to understand and carryout verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to read, understand and record data from gauges, scales and meters.
- Skill in operation and repair of pumps, valves, and related mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Ability to maintain home or mobile telephone service for notification of emergency duty.
The Civil Service Examination is designed to evaluate the applicant's ability to operate a water treatment facility including laboratory analyses, contaminants and treatment, drinking water regulations, operating and maintaining equipment, safety procedures and characteristics of source water. The examination will cover a broad knowledge of areas as covered under a water operator certification.
Persons applying for this position must possess at a minimum a high school diploma or equivalent and one-year of laboratory or mechanical maintenance experience. A State of Ohio Class I Water Operator certification is required. Applicants who fail to meet the minimum qualifications may be rejected.
Applicants must also have the ability to obtain an Indian Hill Water Treatment Plant Water Laboratory certification, a Class III Water Operators license and an Ohio Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with a tanker endorsement.
The Meter Reader/Plant Operator position is a full-time, hourly position eligible for overtime. Position will also be required to work on-call hours and must have ability to report to work within 60 minutes of call-out. Hourly range is $25.16 to $34.24 based on qualifications. Excellent benefit package includes eleven paid holidays and vacation accruals based on years of service credit for those candidates who have prior service with other governmental units in Ohio.
Application for Employment can be downloaded above. City application and a copy of all relevant certifications are required to be submitted online or returned to Jessica Chaney, Director of Administrative Services, 6525 Drake Road, Cincinnati, OH 45243. Original signature is required on paper application forms. It is the responsibility of the applicant to carefully list all pertinent experience and training.
Qualified applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will receive notification of the date and time of the written test administration. Applicants must obtain a 70% or above to be considered as passing. The qualifying applicants will be invited to participate further in the examination process.
All offers of employment are conditional and subject to a pre-employment background screening, drug screening and physical examination.
Position is open until filled.
The City of the Village of Indian Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For any questions or inquiries, please contact Jessica Chaney Director of Administrative Services at email@example.com or at (513) 561-6500.